by Eric Kabeera
Thousands of youth from 15 countries around the world will participate in the forth coming 20th anniversary of the Genocide Walk-to-Remember over a million innocent people who perished.
Marc Gwamaka, the director of Peace and Love Proclaimers (PLP) that is spearheading the event alongside other organisations like Never again Rwanda and Generation for change, said they expect thousands to participate.
Initiated in 2009 by members of Peace and Love Proclaimers (PLP), Walk-to-Remember is an annual event designed to empower the Rwandan youth in the country and around the world to fight against Genocide.
“The preparations are done and we are now informing people to participate in the walk,” Gwamaka told The New Times yesterday.
He said they are currently moving in schools within East Africa sensitising and holding debates about the genocide as part of this year’s Walk to Remember.
The Walk is part of the preparatory activities ahead of the April 7 commemoration of the Genocide against the Tutsi.
The Remembrance Flame already on a tour around different districts in the country is also one of the activities .
Gwamaka said they also intend to send proposals to all Rwandan embassies and consulates to get involved in organising the event.
Last year, about 60,000 youth participated in the Walk-to-Remember in various countries.
Countries that will take part include Uganda, Burundi, Tanzania, India, the United States, the United Kingdom, Belgium, Rwanda, china, Malaysia, Nigeria, Ethiopia and Netherlands.
Source: The New Times