U.S. Accused of Blocking UN Report on ‘Rwanda Fueling Congo Violence’


The United States has been accused of blocking a UN report which examines claims that Rwanda is fuelling a violent rebellion in neighbouring Democratic Republic of the Congo. (See ‘Is the U.S. blocking a controversial U.N. report to shield Rwanda?’ by Colum Lynch.)

According to the leaked report, rebel soldiers told United Nations officials that they were Rwandans who had been sent across the border to fight in a mutiny in eastern Congo that has displaced tens of thousands of civilians, the New York Times reported.

The report says the Rwandan authorities have been complicit in recruiting soldiers for Congolese rebel leader, General Bosco Ntaganda, who is wanted by the International Criminal Court for war crimes and crimes against humanity.

The Guardian reported on Wednesday that rebel fighters who have been captured and interviewed in the eastern Congo revealed a Rwandan network supporting the mutiny.

The Congolese government claims that the report is being stalled by Rwanda and its allies on the security council to protect President Paul Kagame.

Kagame has repeatedly dismissed the allegations.

The New Times reported that Kagame slammed on the international community for “endlessly” blaming Rwanda for the DRC’s woes.

He also called on Congo to take responsibility for a surge in rebel fighting rather than blame its neighbour for stoking the violence.

Source: ABOKOE SIBANDA, 21.06.12, allAfrica.com: “U.S. Accused of Blocking UN Report on Rwanda Fueling Congo Violence”,

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s